AdBlue - Higher Performance. Lower Emissions.
What is Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF)?
DEF, also known as AdBlue®, AUS 32 and ARLA 32, is a non-toxic, colourless, odourless and non-flammable fluid. Stored in a dedicated tank in your car, DEF is injected into the exhaust system to clean exhaust gases. It breaks down nitrogen oxide (NOx) emissions into harmless water vapour and nitrogen gas.
The video across demonstrates the Land Rover Discovery Sport which is fitted with Selective Catalyst Reduction (SCR) technology to reduce emissions. This requires Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF or AdBlue). Learn how to use and top-up the DEF in this video.
All Land Rover diesel models will feature AdBlue® emissions reduction technology.
As well as being powerful and fuel efficient, these new generation Land Rover diesels reduce Nitrogen oxide emissions by up to 90%.
HOW DOES AdBlue® WORK?
AdBlue® solution is stored in a separate reservoir in the vehicle. As you drive, small amounts are injected into the exhaust system, breaking down Nitrogen oxide emissions into harmless water vapour and nitrogen gas. AdBlue® technology is proven, fuss-free and does not affect the driving experience.
HOW DO YOU KNOW WHEN TO REFILL THE AdBlue® RESERVOIR?
Typically a litre of AdBlue® lasts around 500 miles, so for most drivers a refill will be needed around once a year. Your Land Rover's message centre will give you advance warning when your AdBlue® level is low to give you ample time to organise a refill.
WHERE CAN I GET A AdBlue® TOP-UP BOTTLE?
You may also like to pick up a 1.89 litre non-drip AdBlue® top-up bottle from your local Land Rover retailer for peace of mind. The Land Rover sales or service teams will be happy to show you the location of your Land Rover's AdBlue® reservoir.
WHAT ARE THE KEY THINGS I SHOULD KNOW ABOUT AdBlue® ?
• Only use Land Rove AdBlue® refills – commercial vehicle AdBlue® pumps at fuel stations may damage your Land Rover's reservoir or cause spillage.
• Your Land Rover message centre will inform you when to refill. Don't leave it until empty as your vehicle will not then start until you refill.
HOW WILL I KNOW IF MY DEF LEVELS ARE LOW?
The message centre displays a series of messages when the DEF level becomes low:
1. The first message states that the DEF level is at a level where a top up is advised
2. The second message is accompanied by an AMBER warning icon and states to refill the DEF tank
3. The third message starts a countdown of the distance remaining until the DEF tank is empty, after which the vehicle will fail to start
4. The final message is accompanied by a RED warning icon and is displayed when the distance remaining is zero and states that no further restarts will be possible until DEF is added to the tank
Still unsure about AdBlue® ? If you have any questions about AdBlue®, please contact us.