The Amarok has kicked off 2019 in style, by picking up the inaugural What Car? Pick-Up of the Year award. A combination of excellent on- and off-road capabilities secured our model the sought-after trophy.
Back-to-back tests against class rivals and assessments of running costs, practicality and equipment levels were all factored into the expert What Car? verdict. Whatever your cargo, wherever you go, you can count on the Amarok to deliver.
The pick of the pick-up bunch according to What Car? is the Amarok Trendline 204PS with automatic gearbox, priced at £27,450 (basic RRP excl VAT). Steve Huntingford, What Car? Editor, said: “If you want a pick-up that can put in a hard shift during the week then become family transport at the weekend, then look no further than the Volkswagen Amarok. Modern pick-ups are expected to do it all, and this one truly does.”
Brand Director Carl zu Dohna was presented the award at a ceremony in London. He added: “The Amarok has been a big hit since it was relaunched in 2017, and it has maintained its popularity among both long-standing fans as well as those new to the pick-up market. This is a booming sector and we’re delighted that a publication with as much clout as What Car? has recognised the Amarok’s qualities and appeal.”
The latest Amarok has proved popular with fleets and retail buyers alike since it was launched in January 2017, thanks to its powerful and torquey 3.0-litre V6 engine, robust off-road credentials and premium position and interior.
- Whatever you need to carry, the Amarok will make light work of it. A wide load platform and accessible tailgate help to make loading and unloading as straightforward as possible. And if you've got more to move, you'll appreciate the towing capacity of up to 3.1 tonne combined with high payloads of up to 1,154kg.
- The Amarok's range of 3.0 litre V6 TDI engines have more than enough power to tackle the most demanding terrain. 258PS, a temporary over-boost to 272PS and 580Nm of torque.
- Optimum grip, safety and comfort on virtually any surface. A go-anywhere attitude combines high ground clearance and superb body stability with our proven 4MOTION all-wheel drive system and 8-speed automatic gearbox.
- Outstanding Off-Road ABS and Hill Descent Control delivers a safe drive when the road gets tough. The Amarok also features Automatic Post-Collision braking System, 17" braking system to the front and 16" braking system to the rear.
- The Amarok’s wide wheelbase and increased ground clearance mean it can handle even extreme angles, gradients and slopes. So you can confidently tackle even the steepest terrain.45° climbing ability. 50° side angle. It has a maximum slope angle of 29.5° at the front and 18.0° at the rear.
- No other pick-up provides so much space between the wheel arches. The loading width of 1,222 mm even enables Euro pallets to be loaded crosswise. The spacious, 2.52m² cargo box features some impressive dimensions – such as the 508 mm high side panels and the low loading sill height of 780 mm.
- Whatever the weather, the Amarok make sure you don't need to sweat it. Intelligent sensors continuously adapt the temperature to your desired level, keeping you comfortable come rain or shine.
- Make bumps and scuffs when parking a thing of the past with ParkAssist. It emits an audible warning when obstacles are detected in front of or behind the vehicle, and also provides a visual display of the vehicle’s distance from the obstacles.
- The Rear View reversing camera shows you a limited view of the area behind the vehicle on the display of the radio or navigation system. It also displays static guidelines, helping to make parking even simpler.