What are cookies?
Cookies are small text files, downloaded from websites to your computer, tablet or smartphone (‘device’) as you browse and use the internet.
There are two main types of cookie:
· A session cookie only exists for the duration of your visit to a website. They recognise your device as you move between pages on a website. These cookies can be used, for example, to maintain your saved vehicle searches if you have a Sytner login.
· A persistent cookie stays on your device for a set period of time and can be used, for example, to remember you when you next visit a website.
The source of each cookie also varies. Some cookies are owned and created by Sytner Group Limited (‘first party’ cookies), but others are supplied by independent companies (‘third party’ cookies).
When referring to cookies, this also includes similar online tracking devices such as web beacons and flash cookies that we may use.
Cookies are not viruses, any kind of malware, programs or applications. Cookies can’t see files on your device.
Sytner Group, cookies and you
The cookies used on sytner.co.uk fall into three categories:
· Strictly necessary
· Targeting and advertising
More information about each category of cookie can be found on the following table:
Cookies are essential for the effective operation of our website and to help you to search for, reserve or buy a vehicle. They are also used to tailor relevant vehicles and services offered and advertised to you, both on our website and elsewhere.
1. For technical purposes essential to effective operation of our website, particularly in relation to on-line transactions and site navigation.
2. For Sytner Group to market to you with your consent, particularly web banner advertisements and targeted updates.
3. To help Sytner Group detect and prevent fraud through web and social media advertising.
4. To enable Sytner Group to monitor the success of campaigns, competitions etc. We analyse what content is popular and draw conclusions about what else visitors may be interested in or find useful.
5. To understand how visitors use our website so we can enhance the experience and to improve our website.
6. For third party partners and Sytner Group, to re-target advertising of our products on other websites or social media, based on your visits to this website. Matching or combining relevant information with targeted information so that our online advertisements that you see are genuinely relevant to you.
You can manage your preferences for our cookies in our cookie preference centre by clicking the cookie settings button below:
You can also remove any cookies already stored on your device or change your browser settings. However, this may prevent you from accessing certain parts of our website.
Many browsers give a range of options for managing cookies, including obtaining consent for every cookie, and blocking cookies from unrecognised websites. Finally, you can set your browser to block all cookies however you should be aware that many sites will not work as smoothly as you are used to and some basic functionality that is dependent on cookies will not work at all.
The following links go to the relevant help sections for the major web browsers and explain how to manage your cookies: